I had been avoiding this one for fear that it was going to be to hard, but over the course of today Angel and I have worked our way through the Expedite. She sorted through all of her own books which where the top 4 cubes and the last cube on the second row. these where packed in with more behind the front ones. She reduced it to three cubes.
This was before all of my scrapbooking albums went in and before we started working on it.
First of all i took out all of the magazines & magazine style cookbooks i am telling you this made a HUGE difference.
Next i worked my way through each cube that held cookbooks.
Getting rid of all of the Manuals that we have for everything that we have had for over a year. If we don’t know how to use it by now why do we still own it… And also ones for appliances that we haven’t owned in years (a food processor that my grandmother brought us in 2000 that we haven’t had in well over ten years), or owned at all (a Manual for a George Forman grill that Mum owned).
I do have some of my favourite hardcover cookbooks in the kitchen that i sorted out a month or so ago, and could probably add one or two more here. I have saved this spot for my real favourites and for the Thermomix ones.
I had 3 1/2 double stacked cubes of books. I reduced this significantly by getting rid of magazines, but also by thinning out and categorising the cookbooks that i decided to keep. Being a real foodie and having worked in Kitchens, Cookbooks have always been an important part of my life, and i love looking through them.
After sorting through the books, we went to Kmart and i picked up 6 Clear hard plastic Magazine holders (3 fit perfectly in Each Cube). i was only going to grab three but Jack said get 6 i am glad i did now. At $4.00 each though they are a real bargain and have made a Huge Difference to the space.
I have put
- Home Magazine (this is my new favourite mag and i want to re visit them soon).
- Womens Weekly – I have a heap of WW Soft Cover Cookbooks from the famed Kids Birthday Cake that i brought on Ebay for $40.00 to various weightloss ones, i have grouped all of these together and left a magazine holder empty as there are some that Jack needs to look through that should fill the second one up.
- Donna Hay – I have two of her books and some of the Kids Annuals that i am keeping. Put the rest of the magazines into the donate pile, i have over a years worth on my iPad as i was subscribing to it. I general only brought it when it had a really good free gift with it.
- Assorted – This holder is for My Kitchen Rules, Legos, P&O, Cadbury & Taste Softcover Books.
- 4 Ingredients – all of the 4 ingredients books that i have collected.
I do have more books that can be sorted in this way. I kept the Hardcovers together (more of the sentimental family ones).
Then i have a collection of “Grandmother’s” type books that have an older style look to them, and also the write your own ones that i have kept with these.
I have separated the “Kids” books and put them at the top with Angels Books, as she often looks trough them when she wants to cook something, but i will be getting a couple more Magazine Holders for these as well.
The last collection is “celebrity” cooks – Nigella, Bill, etc
I have various Novels that need to be sorted through but can’t locate them at the moment as they are either in the shed, or at the top of my wardrobe, But as we locate things i will add them to the bookcase and work through them.
Sadly Kmart still had no chairs or tables, so hoping that they come in soon as i really want to get this book nook space done and dusted, its going to be such a great little space when its finally finished.
I did get a Desk Organiser for my craft desk which i will share when i am up to that.